I can’t tell you the amount of times I have heard “I don’t have a reason for new portraits.”
We recently received an inquiry from a gentlemen who wants us to photograph him and his friend throwing pies in each other’s faces. As we are chatting about his session, I asked him why he wanted to capture these pie throwing images. His answer was basically ” Just because”. He wanted the photos to share with his friends and make them laugh. I loved his response. So many times, people think that there has to be a major event, like a wedding, to take portraits. That’s just not the case. There is always a reason for portraits!
In case you are drawing a blank, let me give you a few suggestions:
- Update Your Family Portraits – When is the last time you had your family portrait professionally taken? Let me be frank and talk directly to Mom for a moment- Mom, you need to be IN the picture! I know you have a ton of images on your cell phone of your precious children, but let’s make sure that your children have memories of you in portraits with them. Take this opportunity to pamper yourself. Let us handle the details for hair and makeup, all you need to do is show up. There is no way you’ll regret having a beautifully framed family portrait to hang on your wall in your home. After you have it, you’ll wonder why you waited so long.
- Generational Legacy Portrait – Speaking of family portraits- are you fortunate enough to have your grandparents or parents still here with you? One of the portraits I adore the most, is an image with my grandmother, my mother, and my siblings. Let’s create a legacy portrait of you with your grandparents, parents, and your children. This type of portrait is a wonderful heirloom for you to have and will only gain more value as time goes on. There are many variations on this type of portrait and no “wrong” way to do it. My personal favorites are ones with all the generations of women or men together, ie; grandmother, mother, daughter or grandfather, father, son…
- Engagement or Couples – Just get engaged or been together for 15 years? It doesn’t matter. It’s always a great time to take portraits of just the two of you <3 Our couple sessions are so much fun and really focus on the love you and your partner share for each other. Make a day of it! Take beautiful sunset pictures together and then go out on a special date.
- Any Birthday – Yes, ANY birthday! You do not need to wait for a particular birthday to get amazing portraits of yourself. Each day is another reason to celebrate. Professional hair and makeup, a new outfit (or two) and beautiful portraits of yourself is a treat no matter how old you are. Celebrate you, as you are, right now.
- Special Occasions – Any special occasion calls for portraits! Graduation, retirement, Christmas, Mother’s day, Father’s day, anniversary, birth of a child, or any occasion that is special or important to you.
- Just Because – Take portraits just because you want to celebrate and document this season of your life. Take portraits just because you want to walk into your home and view images of yourself with people you love. Take portraits just because you want to.
What is your “just because”? What would you like to celebrate with new portraits? Who would you like to take portraits with? Give us a call at 240.321.9831 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, so we can get started planning your portrait session. You’ll be happy that you did 😉